This soup is creamy and delicious as well as dairy free! Pack it full of your favourite Ocean Wise ingredients and enjoy a hearty bowl of comfort food. -Jen
- 1 Tbsp coconut
- 1 diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 4 cups diced sweet potato, divided into 2 equal portions
- 1 cup clam juice
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cans coconut milk, with the coconut water from one can reserved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- 300g smoked coho, diced
- 300g live mussels, cleaned
- 300g live clams, cleaned
- 300g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Dill or green onion for garnish
- 1 large sourdough loaf, insides hollowed out with the crust ready to use as a bowl
1. In a large pan over low heat, soften onions and carrots in coconut oil, about 10 minutes.
2. Add 2 cups of the diced sweet potato to the pan along with the onions and carrots. Pour in clam juice and 1 can of the coconut milk. Remove cream from the second can of coconut milk and add to the pan. Reserve remaining coconut water. Add bay leaves, thyme, and salt. Increase heat and bring to a low simmer.
3. In a separate smaller pan filled ⅔ full of water, add the remaining 2 cups of sweet potato and boil until tender.
4. Drain sweet potatoes and place into a blender together with the reserved coconut water. Blend until smooth.
5. Add the pureed sweet potato to the soup pot, stir to combine, and bring mixture back to a gentle simmer.
6. Add the white parts of the green onions to the pan. Add shellfish and let simmer for 3 minutes with lid closed. Add the rest of the seafood in and simmer for 1 minute until cooked through. Remove bay leaves.
7. Ladle into bread bowl and garnish with green onion tops and dill. Bon appétit!