The tomato ginger jam can last in the refrigerator for up to 7 days, so feel free to make extra and serve it on other dishes. The ginger jam also goes great on seared scallops and any white fish (cod, snapper, sole). – Jen
2 Fresh Halibut Fillets (6 oz each)
Tomato Ginger Jam
1/4 cup Shallot (minced)
1 Tbsp Ginger (minced)
1 clove Garlic (minced)
1 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
3 Tbsp Butter
1 Tbsp Sugar
1.5 lbs Roma Tomatoes (seeded and finely chopped)
1.5 Tbsp Lime juice
2 Tbsp Cilantro (finely chopped)
- Start by making the Tomato Ginger Jam ahead of time. Preheat a large skillet over medium low heat. Saute shallot, ginger, and garlic in the butter until softened, about 5 mins. Season with the salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Next, add the sugar and cook, stirring until dissolved. Add tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened. (15-20 mins)
- Let jam cool to room temperature then stir in the lime juice and cilantro. Reserve. The jam can be stored in the fridge ahead of time for 2 days.
- Spray grill with Non-Stick Spray (Halibut can be challenging to grill properly, so the non-stick spray will set you up for success).
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Season Halibut with salt and pepper on both sides. Rub fish down with a little oil.
- Grill Halibut for 4-5 mins a side. Let rest a minute before serving.
- Serve Halibut on plate and garnish with the jam on top.