This is a great one-dish meal that you can serve on-the-go. It’s also a great dish to have left-overs, something you can just reheat in the microwave and it’ll still be tasty. For a more fancy meal, pick halibut over cod & snapper. – Jen
1.5 lbs Cod or Snapper
3 Medium Potatoes
2 small Onions (halved and sliced)
3 Tbsp Olive oil
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 Bay Leaf
3 Sprigs of Thyme
3 Tomatoes (thinly sliced)
2 Tbsp Orange juice
4 Tbsp White wine
1/2 tsp Saffron threads (steeped in 4 Tbsp boiling water)
Salt and Pepper
- Start by cooking off the potatoes. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 mins, then drain them. Allow potatoes to cool for about 10 mins. When they are cool enough to handle, peel off the skins and slice them thinly. Reserve.
- Meanwhile, saute the sliced onions in a frying pan in olive oil, over medium low heat.
- Saute the onions for 10 mins, stirring frequently. Next add the minced garlic, and continue cooking the onion for a few more minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Spray your baking dish with non-stick spray or coat the bottom evenly with olive oil. Layer half the potatoes in a 2 L or 8 cup sized baking dish.
- Cover the potatoes with half of the sauteed onions. Season again with salt and pepper.
- Place the fish fillets on top of the onion and sliced potato. Tuck the herbs and bay leaf between them. Top the fish fillets with the sliced tomatoes, and the remaining sauteed onions and potato slices.
- Pour the orange juice, wine and saffron liquid over the top. Drizzle more olive oil, and season again with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 mins until the potatoes are tender and the fish is cooked.